photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Saturday, June 22, 2013

MITCH THE FISH



How about a “fishy” tale today?


You will need a file folder and 2 orange, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue, and 1 black sheets of construction paper.   Trace a fish shape on one side of the file folder and cut it out.  Color around the fish so it looks like an ocean.  Tape the sides of the folder together.  Cut the construction paper into 7” x 9” rectangles.  Place the construction paper behind the fish cutout in this order:  orange, red, yellow, blue, black, and orange.  Glue the words to the story to the back of the file folder so you can read it as you remove one sheet of paper at a time.  Encourage the children to join in on the chant.


Once there was an orange fish named Mitch who could change his color with the swish of his tail.  All he had to say was: 
            I’m Mitch the fish.
            I swim and I swish.
            And I can change my color
            If I wish.
One day he was swimming around on the ocean floor and he saw a red lobster.  He thought it would be fun to be a bright color like the lobster so he said:
            I’m Mitch the fish.
            I swim and I swish.
            And I can change my color
            If I wish.
Suddenly he turned red.  (Remove the orange sheet of paper to make Mitch red.)  The lobster said, “I’m the only sea creature who can be red.  I’ll snap at you!”  So Mitch decided he didn’t want to be red anymore.  Just then he saw a yellow starfish and he said:
            I’m Mitch the fish.
            I swim and I swish.
            And I can change my color
            If I wish.
And with a swish of his tail Mitch turned yellow.  (Remove the red paper to show the yellow.)  The starfish said, “I’m the only creature who can be yellow.  I’ll prickle you!”  So Mitch decided he didn’t want to be yellow anymore.  Mitch saw a blue whale and decided it would be fun to be blue so he said:
            I’m Mitch the fish.
            I swim and I swish.
            And I can change my color
            If I wish.
The whale said, “I’m the only creature in the sea who can be blue.  I’ll spout water on you!”  Mitch thought it might not be a good idea to be blue, so when he saw a shark he decided to be black and he said:
            I’m Mitch the fish.
            I swim and I swish.
            And I can change my color
            If I wish.
Well, you know the shark didn’t like Mitch being black and he said, “I’m going to get you!”  Finally Mitch said:
            I’m Mitch the fish.
            I swim and I swish.
            And I can change my color
            If I wish.
And he turned back into being an orange fish again.  Because being yourself is the very best thing that you can be!


Flying Fish

You can make a little flying fish from a strip of paper cut 8 ½” x 1 ½”.   Cut slits halfway through near each end as shown.  Hook the tabs together, toss it in the air, and watch your fish fly!